Monday, June 15, 2009

'In Case You MIssed'


Former New York City Mayor David Dinkins was among the political figures supporting the Reginald F. Lewis Foundation at a gala luncheon Saturday in East Hampton.
Lewis was a self-made man made and noted philanthropist whose desire to support a museum of African-American history and culture was made real by a posthumous donation of $5 million to create the Reginald F. Lewis Museum of Maryland African American History & Culture in Baltimore’s Inner Harbor.
What does Dinkins think about the Republican New York State Senate coup? “I’m saddened by the whole thing," says the Democrat. "There’s important legislation that needs to be passed. It’s so unfortunate we have this situation.”
Dinkins called Lewis a dear friend. “When you think that he died at 50, and my bride and I have a 55-year-old son now, that seems so young to me. I said on the occasion of his death he accomplished more in his 50 years than most people do in a lifetime. I have this expression, ‘Service to others is the rent we pay for space on this Earth.’ Reginald Lewis died paid in full. Hopefully he will not look down and see any of us in arrears.“
-LEE FRYD

No comments: